New Medicare Card - Details for Providers
The Centers for Medicare and Medicaid Services (CMS), through their Medicare Administrative Contractors (MACs), recently mailed letters to all Medicare Fee-For-Service providers about the assignment of new numbers (known as Medicare Beneficiary Identifiers or MBIs) and the upcoming issuance of new Medicare cards to all people with Medicare beginning in April 2018.
Top CMS implementation priorities are to make sure:
- Each provider's Medicare patients have continuous access to care.
- All providers have the tools and information needed for a smooth transition. Starting in June 2018, providers can look up patients’ new Medicare numbers through MAC’s secure web portal.
A copy of the letter to providers and accompanying fact sheet is below. These resources will assist providers in preparing for the new Medicare numbers beginning in April 2018. Key information in the letter includes:
- Each Medicare beneficiary will be assigned a unique, randomly generated number that will be printed on their new Medicare card.
- In official CMS guidance this number will be referred to as the Medicare Beneficiary Identifier or MBI.
- Providers using vendors to bill Medicare should contact those vendors to ensure billing systems will be ready for the number changes.
Follow the links below for additional information.
Want to read the full alert and receive alert emails?