Class I Recall of Terumo Medical Corporation Recalls SOLOPATH® Balloon Expandable TransFemoral System and Re-Collapsible Balloon Access System
The US Food and Drug Administration (FDA) is informing healthcare professionals that Terumo Medical Corporation is recalling the SOLOPATH® Balloon Expandable TransFemoral System and Re-Collapsible Balloon Access System due to a potential for the tip to dislodge from the outer rim of the sheath resulting in a loss of the smooth transition from the surface of the tip to the outer surface of the expandable sheath.
Use of the affected devices could cause vessel tears (dissection), false lumen, blood between the two outer layers of an artery (pseudoaneurysm), hemorrhage, inability to transition through the skin to the iliac artery in the hip area, vessel perforation, and vessel disruption, which may result in additional medical intervention, increased procedure time, or death.
The firm has received a total of 14 reports of related incidents in which the device has malfunctioned in this manner, including two injuries. No deaths have been reported.
- SOLOPATH® Balloon Expandable TransFemoral System and Re-Collapsible Balloon Access System
- All model and lot numbers are affected. (See full list of affected devices in Terumo recall notice.)
- Manufacturing Dates: June 22, 2016 to January 30, 2019
- Distribution Dates: July 22, 2016 to March 13, 2019
- Devices Recalled in the U.S.: 3,474
- Date Initiated by Firm: April 26, 2019
- Review the Product Recall Bulletin and the Required Actions.
- Assure that all users receive notice of this issue so that required actions can be performed.
- Assure that this notice is forwarded to applicable facilities if any affected products were further distributed outside of your facility.
- Review your SOLOPATH inventory immediately to identify and isolate affected inventory to prevent future use.
- Complete the Medical Device Recall Response Form. The form is required even if you do not have product to return.
- If you have product to return, contact Stericycle to obtain a credit and reference event number 10082. Phone Number: 855-205-2627 E-Mail: return to email@example.com.
- E-mail the Recall Acknowledgement Form to firstname.lastname@example.org to arrange for product to be returned to Stericycle.
- Terumo encourages customers to consider alternative suppliers.
Health care professionals and consumers may report adverse reactions or quality problems they experience using these devices to MedWatch: The FDA Safety Information and Adverse Event Reporting Program.
Want to read the full alert and receive alert emails?