Joint Commission Highlights Strategies to Prevent Surgical Fires
A recent Joint Commission blog post highlights strategies to prevent surgical fires. According to the new blog post, Only You Can Prevent Surgical Fires, of 65 million surgical cases annually, there are approximately 200 to 240 surgical fires.
Strategies suggested by TJC to help prevent surgical fires include:
- Educating staff members about sources of heat and ignition in the surgical environment
- Establishing processes that allow time for patient surgical prep
- Establishing and following guidelines for minimizing oxygen concentration under surgical drapes
- Training and practicing procedures for responding to fires in the OR
- Reporting surgical fires to TJC and all appropriate federal and state agencies
Included with today’s notice are example policies related to the prevention of surgical fires.
Want to read the full alert and receive alert emails?