Antibiotic Awareness Week
November 13–19 marks U.S. Antibiotic Awareness Week and World Antibiotic Awareness Week. To kick off the observances, the US Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) released Be Antibiotics Aware: Smart Use, Best Care, a national educational effort to continue to combat antibiotic resistance and protect patients from unnecessary side effects.
Be Antibiotics Aware provides resources to support healthcare professionals and patients in their efforts to practice safe antibiotic use, reinforcing the concept that “Smart Use is the Best Care.”
Prescribing the right dose of the right antibiotic at the right time, and for the right duration helps fight antibiotic resistance, protects patients from unnecessary side effects from antibiotics, and helps make sure life-saving antibiotics will work when they are needed in the future.
The CDC is encouraging health care organizations and professionals to participate in Be Antibiotics Aware during U.S. Antibiotic Awareness Week and beyond. Some ways to participate include:
- Downloading and distributing new Be Antibiotics Aware educational materials.
- Watch and distribute “The Right Tool” TV Public Service Announcement.
- Post the Be Antibiotics Aware web buttons to your website or blog.
- Use the “drop-in” articles in e-blasts, newsletters, and other publications.
- Use social media to spark conversation.
Included with today’s Notice are example policies related to the creation and implementation of an Antimicrobial Stewardship Program.
Want to read the full alert and receive alert emails?