Class I Recall of Zimmer Biomet, Inc. Spinal Fusion and Long Bone Stimulators
Zimmer Biomet, Inc. is recalling the EBI Osteogen Implantable Bone Growth Stimulator, SpF® PLUS-Mini (60 μA/W) Implantable Spinal Fusion Stimulator, and the SpF®-XL IIb 2/DM Implantable Spinal Fusion Stimulator due to a lack of adequate validation and controls to ensure that final products were clean and free from bacteria and chemical residue. The lack of adequate validation and controls may or may not cause serious side effects for the patient including infection, tissue death, additional surgery for wound treatment and/or device removal, impaired wound and bone healing, the need for long-term antibiotic therapy, the potential for secondary gastroenteritis, swelling and infection around the spinal cord (epidural abscess), paralysis, damage to other organs or death.
Recalled product details:
- Name: Osteogen Implantable Bone Growth Stimulator, SpF PLUS-Mini Implantable Fusion Stimulator, and the SpF-XL Implantable Spinal Fusion Stimulator
- Serial numbers: All serial numbers expiring prior to March 31, 2019 are affected.
- Manufacturing Dates: February 14, 2015 to April 11, 2017
- Distribution Dates: April 29, 2015, to March 31, 2018
- Devices recalled in the U.S: 1,360 units
On February 19, 2018, Zimmer Biomet, Inc. issued an Urgent Medical Device Recall Notification Letter to all affected customers.
The letter instructed:
- Consignees: to return an acknowledgement of responsibilities and inform affected team members of the recall.
- Hospital risk managers: to set aside any product for sales representative or distributor pick-up.
- Surgeons: to continue monitoring patients who have one of the affected devices implanted.
- Distributors: to quarantine any devices in inventory and send them back to the firm. Distributors were also directed to identify all consignees with product so that sales representatives could work with consignees to reconcile all remaining product.
Follow the link below for additional information.
Want to read the full alert and receive alert emails?