NIAHO Accreditation Requirements for Informed Consent for Surgery
DNV GL’s National Integrated Accreditation for Healthcare Organizations (NIAHO) Hospital Accreditation Requirements lays out specific requirements for a properly executed informed consent prior to a surgery.
NIAHO outlines the following required elements of informed consent at SS.4
- The name of patient (and/or patient’s legal representative when appropriate)
- Name of hospital
- Description of the proposed surgical procedure(s) including the anesthesia to be used
- Name of practitioner(s) performing the procedure(s) or important aspects of the procedure(s)
- If there are significant surgical tasks that will be conducted by practitioner(s) other than the primary surgeon, the task and practitioner conducting the task should be listed.
- Signature of patient or the patient's legal representative
- Date and time consent is signed by the patient or the patient's legal representative
- Statement that procedure(s) was explained to patient or patient's legal representative. This includes anticipated benefits, material risks and alternative therapies
- Signature of the professional person witnessing the consent
- Name/signaure of person who explained the procedure to the patient or patient's legal representative
Want to read the full alert and receive alert emails?