Joint Commission Revisions for Hospitals Related to Life Safety Code Update
As a part of updates related to the adoption of the 2012 editions of the National Fire Protection Association’s NFPA 101: Life Safety Code and NFPA 99: Health Care Facilities Code, the Joint Commission has made revisions to EC.02.04.03 for the Hospital program, effective January 1, 2018.
- A new Element of Performance (EP 8) which requires all equipment that is used or intended to be used in oxygen-enriched atmospheres to be clearly labeled. The label must be permanent and able to tolerate cleaning/disinfecting. Labeling should be placed on:
- Oxygen-metering equipment (label shall read: "OXYGEN–USE NO OIL")
- Pressure-reducing regulators (label shall read: "OXYGEN–USE NO OIL")
- Nebulizers shall be labeled with name of manufacturer or supplier.
- Labels on flowmeters, pressure-reducing regulators, and oxygen-dispensing apparatuses shall designate the gases for which they are intended.
- Cylinders and containers are labeled in accordance with Compressed Gas Association (CGA) C-7. Note: Color coding shall not be used as the primary method of determining cylinder or container contents. (For full text, refer to NFPA 99-2012: 220.127.116.11)
- A new Element of Performance (EP 8) which requires all hospitals that have hyperbaric facilities must comply with construction, equipment, administration, and maintenance requirements of NFPA 99-2012: Chapter 14.
- A new Element of Performance (EP 26) which requires hospitals to conduct equipment maintenance on anesthesia apparatus.
- The apparatus shall be tested at the final path to patient after any adjustment, modification or repair.
- Each apparatus connection shall be checked to verify proper gas flow and an oxygen analyzer will be used to verify oxygen concentration prior to returned to service.
- Areas designated for servicing of oxygen equipment shall be clean and free of oil, grease, or other flammables.
Included with today’s notice are example polices related to this topic.
Want to read the full alert and receive alert emails?