Joint Commission Announces Completion of Phase III EP Review Project
The Joint Commission has announced completion of its EP Review Project. TJC had conducted an EP review for its hospital program and this current project has applied the relevant EP deletions from the hospital program to other TJC accreditation programs with the following exceptions:
- The EP deleted for the hospital program had to be retained for another program because it is a specific Centers for Medicare & Medicaid Services’ (CMS) requirement.
- The EP deleted for the hospital program was duplicative but the EP is not duplicative across other accreditation programs.
- Certain non-hospital programs require EPs that were deleted for hospitals.
The categories of deleted EPs include:
- The EP is similar to, implicit or duplicative of an existing EP.
- The EP addresses an issue that is a routine part of or current clinical care operations and is no longer needed.
- The EP addresses an issue that is adequately addressed by law or regulation or other, non-TJC requirements.
EPs have been deleted for the following accreditation programs:
- Ambulatory Health Care
- Behavioral Health Care
- Critical Access Hospital
- Nursing Care Centers
- Office-Based Surgery
- Home Care
The prepublication standards for each program are currently available on TJC’s website. The changes are effective July 1, 2017.
Want to read the full alert and receive alert emails?