Class I Recall of CoaguChek XS PT Test Strips
Terrific Care, LLC. / Medex Supply is recalling the Roche Diagnostics CoaguChek XS PT Test Strips due to inaccurate INR test results, when compared to laboratory results. The test strips may provide results that are higher than the actual INR. Because of incorrect INR results, some patients may be prescribed an insufficient warfarin dose or instructed to interrupt warfarin use, which may increase the risk for dangerous blood clots. Incorrect INR results are of particular concern for individuals at an increased risk of blood clots including those with mechanical heart valves, atrial fibrillation (irregular heartbeat) who are at an elevated risk of stroke, or those who had a recent blood clot.
This recall is related to Roche Diagnostics’ recent U.S. recall of its CoaguChek XS PT Test Strips. However, the CoaguChek XS PT Test Strips distributed by Terrific Care LLC. /Medex Supply include catalog/REF numbers that were not included in the recent Roche recall because the test strips were not labeled or authorized for sale in the United States and were only distributed by Roche Diagnostics outside the U.S. Terrific Care, LLC. / Medex Supply purchased the Roche tests strips from an unknown source and imported and sold them in the United States.
Use of recalled test strips may increase the risk of serious adverse health consequences, including, stroke, irreversible brain damage, and death.
- Recalled Product(s): CoaguChek XS PT Test Strips purchased from Terrific Care, LLC. or Medex Supply
- Lot Numbers: All lot numbers sold by Terrific Care LLC. or Medex Supply
- Manufacturing Dates: October 2017 to May 2018
- Distribution Dates: December 27, 2017 to December 15, 2018
- Devices Recalled in the U.S.: 759 boxes
On January 28, 2019, Terrific Care, LLC sent an Urgent Medical Device Recall Notification letter to customers. The letter asked customers to:
- Switch to new batches of CoaguChek XS PT Test Strips that are not affected by the recall. New batches of CoaguChek XS PT Test Strips may be obtained by contacting Roche Diagnostics Corporation at 1-800-428-4674.
- Patients should contact their health care provider to determine an alternative testing method while waiting for replacement CoaguChek XS PT Test Strips that are not affected.
- Immediately stop using all CoaguChek XS Test Strips purchased directly from Terrific Care, LLC. and Medex Supply.
- If you have product to return, send an email to RMA@medexsupply.com or call a customer service specialist at 888-433-2300 between the hours of 9:00 am - 5:00 pm Eastern Standard Time, Monday – Thursday.
- Include the “order ID” and insert “Recall” in the email subject line
- Complete and return the Recall Letter Response Form by email.
- For reimbursement, contact Terrific Care by phone at 888-433-2300 or by email at RMA@medexsupply.com
Customers who have questions or need additional information or support related to this recall should email to RMA@medexsupply.com or call a customer service specialist at 888-433-2300 between of 9:00 am - 5:00 pm Eastern Standard Time, Monday – Thursday.
Follow the link below for additional information.
Want to read the full alert and receive alert emails?